Products and Services
TechAdapt offers the following services:
- Software development, creating high-quality, highly functional systems for both the desktop and Web.
- Braille transcription, using the latest software and techniques for both transcription and tactile graphic production.
- Braille embossing from your files or Bookshare materials.
- E-text and eBook conversion from any type of print or electronic materials to any current eReader format.
- NIMAS production, with unparalleled accuracy and an ability to meet the tightest deadlines and cost constraints.
- DAISY production, supporting the creation of DAISY books using any combination of text and audio.
- Audio production, either in conjunction with DAISY book development or as a standalone service.
- Production of other types of alternate media, including large print, accessible PDF and accessible HTML.
For more information about any of these services, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TechAdapt has assisted a number of organizations in the production of high-quality open-source and commercial products. We have a wealth of experience in the development of:
- graphics-intensive and heavily multithreaded desktop applications
- highly interactive Web sites
- Web-based server systems
- Web services
- XML-based applications processing both structured and unstructured data
- Open-source tools
TechAdapt offers full transcription services for literary, Nemeth (mathematics) and computer Braille, as well as production of high-quality tactile graphics. All of our transcribers are certified by the Library of Congress, ensuring that your braille is the best that it can be.
We can translate and/or emboss a wide range of materials, including:
- Literary works
- Children's books
- Foreign language materials
- Specialized educational materials
- Custom tactile graphics
- Personal and professional correspondence
- Business cards
- Flyers and promotional materials
- Bus schedules
- Custom corporate projects
Completed works can be produced in either Grade 1 or Grade 2 braille. For your convenience, we can return the work as electronic Braille files in braille-ready format (BRF) or as Duxbury Braille Translation (DBT), MegaDots or Braille 2000 files. Embossed and bound hardcopy volumes are also available.
TechAdapt provides high-quality, high-speed embossing and tactile graphics reproduction to many state and local educational agencies. All embossed materials are professionally bound using comb bindings, and include a heavy paper cover. Plastic covers and specialized binding are also available.
TechAdapt is the sole braille embossing agency for Bookshare.
We can scan and convert any bound or unbound print format, including large textbooks and spiral-bound materials. We also accept a wide range of electronic file formats, including PostScript, QuarkXPress, Adobe PDF, Adobe InDesign/PageMaker/FrameMaker, Microsoft Publisher, NIMAS/DAISY, XML, Microsoft Word, Rich Text Format, HTML, WordPerfect and others.
The extracted text can be formatted in a wide range of word processing formats, as plain text, or in a number of eBook formats optimized for use with reading devices such as the Kindle, Nook, Sony eReader and others.
TechAdapt is a leading producer of files in the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Standard (NIMAS) and other electronic formats, and is registered with the National Instructional Materials Accessibility Center (NIMAC) as an Accessible Media Producer (AMP). As a registered AMP, TechAdapt can download and convert NIMAS files from the NIMAC and convert those files into a range of accessible media formats. In addition to extracting and formatting the content of a printed work, TechAdapt also develops "alternate text" and/or "long description" text equivalents for the printed work's graphical elements, which can greatly facilitate student understanding of the material.
DAISY (also known as Z39.86-2005) is an exciting accessible media standard which enables dynamic, fully navigable e-books to be produced using text, audio, or a combination of the two. TechAdapt can convert your print or electronic source material into DAISY format and, if appropriate, provide alternate-format copies of the book in HTML, braille or other accessible media.
Our services include:
- Conversion from print or electronic format;
- Addition of document metadata using the popular Dublin Core format or your own metadata vocabulary;
- Text layout and creation or conversion of graphics and thumbnail images;
- Production of DAISY books using any version of the standard required for use with your hardware or software players;
- Development of XSLT stylesheets to convert XML documents into HTML, another XML vocabulary, or any format.
- Development of "alternate text" and/or "long description" text equivalents for the printed work's graphical elements.
With the advent of small, portable commercial audio players such as the iPod, the use of audio as an instructional medium has expanded significantly. Using any source medium as input, TechAdapt can produce files in MP3, WMP (Windows Media Player), RA (Real Audio) and many other audio formats, using your choice of voices available on Windows or Mac OS X.
TechAdapt can also produce other forms of alternate media, including large print, accessible PDF (including both tags and image descriptions) and accessible HTML.